The Story Behind This Mural
The Mary River was called “Moonaboola” by the region’s first people. First Settlers called it the “Wide Bay River”. In 1848 Governor Charles Fitzroy formally named the river in honour of his late wife, Lady Mary Fitzroy. Saddened and upset at her death, he also directed that the name of our original Wide Bay Village be changed to Maryborough. Lady Mary Fitzroy was born Lady Mary Lennox, daughter of the Duke of Richmond. She married Captain Charles Fitzroy in 1820 and Sir Charle’s career saw the couple live in Canada, the Leeward Islands and the West Indies before arriving in Australia in 1846. They had four children (Charles, Mary, George and Arthur). Lady Mary died in a carriage accident in Parramatta in December 1847. Her husband was seated in the box at that time of the tragedy. The Melbourne Argus reported “(Lady Mary) has by her dignified and unaffected manners and amiable disposition, formed a large circle of friends by whom her memory will long be held in affection and respective remembrance.” The mural’s location is apt as the image symbolises the link between Lady Mary Fitzroy and the naming of our River and City – it’s our world.
Contributors to this Mural
The Maryborough Mural Project relies entirely on the generosity of volunteers and sponsors from our local community. The artist’s commission was sponsored by the Maryborough Mural Project through generous donations and fundraising within our local community. The Committee would like to thank Mr Ashley Bower, Mrs Jan Carlson, Mrs Tracey Christoffel, Mr Mal Finlayson, Ms Tracey Gray, Mrs Dawn Vanderwolf, Mr Rai Whitten and Mr Mark Williams for their time and expertise in coordinating this mural. The Committee also thanks Telstra and the following businesses for their kind and generous sponsorship of this mural: