The Story Behind This Mural
Louis Emmanuel Steindl was born in Warsaw, Poland in 1851. His parents escaped the persecution of a bloody Russian domination. He arrived in Australia in 1871 and opened the Bavarian Brewery, in Granville in 1878. He trained under his father in Austria and produced his best beer in Granville because of the artesian water pumped from a well there. In 1879 he advertised he could also make “champagne porter (port), Bavarian ale (superior to lager), table beer and honey mead”. Among others, he employed Indigenous workers in his brewery. In 1881 he entered into a partnership with J.T Murray and expanded his business – then producing 120 hogsheads of beer per week. (A hogshead of ale is 250 L of old beer/ale gallons). The pair used ingredients of specifically manufactured sugar from Yengarie, imported Barvarian Spalt Hops and accessed water from a spring a mile from the brewery, which was carted by horses and drays. Steindl later purchased the Maryborough Brewery in Bowen Street, and with the help of his son, converted it into a modern brewery. He died in 1913 with a very considerable fortune.
Contributors to this Mural
he Maryborough Mural Project relies entirely on the generosity of volunteers and sponsors from our local community. The artist, Nigel Zschech generously donated his time and expertise to complete this commission for The Maryborough Mural Project. The Committee would like to thank Mr Ashley Bower, Mrs Tracey Christoffel, Mr Mal Finlayson, Ms Tracey Gray, Mrs Dawn Vanderwolf, Ms Bronwyn Mendoza, Mr Rai Whitten and Mr Mark Williams for their time and expertise in coordinating this mural. The Committee also thanks Shane and Michelle Muller and the following businesses for their kind and generous sponsorship of this mural: