The Story Behind This Mural
The first known ferry service to Granville was called the Victoria Ferry, a hand operated punt which ran from the bottom of March Street. This was owned by Steward Gordon and his son William. A similar ferry commenced operating from Guava Street in the area where the Granville Bridge was later built. This ferry was replaced by a steam ferry, an iron punt known as the ‘Alert’, painted here, which was built by the Vulcan Foundry and provided a twenty-four hour service. Passengers wishing to cross at night would ring bells which were attached to piles on either side of the river. This would attract the attention of the night operator. Children often rang the bells for fun much to the exasperation of the man on night duty. This ferry serviced Granville residents for many years but as those years progressed and vehicular traffic increased so too did public pressure to have a bridge erected. The Granville Bridge was opened in 1926.
About the Artist
Artist Kerry Nicholson has been painting since childhood and is an accomplished multi-disciplinary artist who has won many awards for his large works of art both in Australia and internationally. He is the artist of choice for major companies in the video industry such as Warner Brothers and Roadshow.
Contributors to this Mural
The Maryborough Mural Project relies entirely on the generosity of volunteers and sponsors from our local community. The artist’s commission was generously provided through Mayor Chris Loft’s Discretionary Funds. The Committee would like to thank Ms Katrina Dollin, Mrs Tracey Christoffel, Mr Mal Finlayson, Ms Tracey Gray, Mrs Dawn Vanderwolf, Ms Yvonne Loveday and Mr Rai Whitten for their time and expertise in coordinating this mural. The Committee also thanks the following businesses for their kind and generous sponsorship of this mural: